Sunday, May 29, 2011

1412 Joe Stephens Rd, 37814

It still completely amazes me that we found this house (Teresa's dream house) while I just decided to stay over an extra day in Morristown and look at a few houses just to get a better idea of the area since I had had Teresa and David looking primarily at West Knoxville for the last 18+ months.  But both of them had been trying to convince me of the area around Morristown so I wanted to take a better look for myself (glad I did!).

Anyway, after looking all day and finally only one possibility but seeing several longer-term issues with it, David announced he didn't have anymore for us to look at that day.   However, Dana (his wife) had slipped Teresa a listing the night before at the birthday party and told her to make sure David showed us this one.  David said he eliminated it due to high cost / sq ft (since the basement wasn't finished) but Dana knew better so when David called (it's only half a mile from his house) he found out the owner was completing the basement and we stopped by to see it.   It only took Teresa 10 minutes or less to declare it her dream house and I knew I was toast!!

I really liked it a lot too but in this job market, and my status uncertain, the poor housing market, I didn't want to take on a second mortgage and put our retirement in jeopardy.  However, when the owners found out why we weren't interested, they told us they had built it with the plan of staying there forever but now wanted to build the exact same house on the lake (not just near it .. we're about 3.6 miles from Cherokee Lake and 3 miles from the Church) and we willing to have us close on June 30th, 2012 (not for 15 months at the time).  So it was quite a surprised when we were able to sell our current house about 3 weeks shy of actually listing it (it was fun to watch the neighbors when the SOLD sign went up when there was never a FOR SALE sign).

Obviously we were extremely blessed and fortunately we had put in a 60 day prior notice clause in the contract and now the ball is rolling downhill.   I also found out this week that I will be able to work "location free" which basically means I can keep my job and work from home in TN.  Here are a few photos and everyone is always welcome to come visit us once we get settled in later this summer.








1 comment:

Lindsey Marie said...

Love the new house. Sad that you are moving, but excited for your family!