Well Teresa and I just returned from our 1.5 week vacation in the Smokies (not all of it was spent there but quite a bit). It was extremely relaxing and was wonderful to really get away from work and our other responsibilities for a while. Feel like a totally new person again (I even smiled at work today even with it being my 1st day back and a gloomy Monday weather wise). :-)
Teresa and I should have known we were in for a slight adventure when we checked in and were told that we could go the cabin if we wished (huh?) but there was a guy there repairing the A/C unit. OK, I give .. why is that an issue I ask. Seems a bear didn't like our A/C unit and decided to knock it completely over, destroying some of the piping. I just don't understand why Teresa kept wanting me to lay out on the porch with raw meat next to me.
Anyway that should have been our 1st major clue but it wasn't. We went and bought groceries and unloaded all of our stuff (which was a lot, included our hiking gear, etc.) into the cabin. The cabin we rented was another new one for us although we stayed in its "sister" cabin recently. One of the major features I wanted was a home theater system for two reasons: 1) to give me additional ideas about what I might do once we move / retire back to Tennessee and 2) we knew the weather was going to be worse than usual with a hurricane offshore and we would probably get a lot of rain limiting our time on the various trails we love to hike.
Sure enough, it rained every day we were there except three: the day we arrived, the day we left, and Wednesday. Thursday was supposed to be really nice so we decided to wait to hike that day so the trail could dry out more. Woke up to fog and rain most of the day. What can you do but laugh. LOL The problem was the sound system for the theater was not working correctly by any stretch of the imagination and that is something I can't tolerate given my audiophile tendencies. I just wish (and have since learned) I had tested it BEFORE we unloaded everything into the cabin. The next morning I downloaded the receiver manual off the Internet so I could trouble-shoot it. Two hours later I found that the right rear speaker was indeed "blown" and that the receiver itself had several issues as well. Teresa and I weren't too happy at first that the rental company / owners wanted us to wait until Monday morning before addressing the problems. So we asked to be moved to another cabin. The rental company came through again (only the 2nd time we've had a major problem with a cabin although I have fixed other systems for other cabins) and upgraded us to a 4 bedroom cabin (we had lots of room and their home theater system actually really worked).
What was funny (may not be right word, hmmm, how about ironic) is that after we repacked everything, loaded the car, found the new cabin (wasn't easy), and unloaded everything again the other owners called and asked us to move back. They were very nice but we were whipped by then and wanted to enjoy ourselves and quit sweating so much!! Anyway, we celebrated my sister-in-law 50th birthday the next day and I cooked out in the rain (yes, the grill was outside and not covered) for everyone (although Teresa made most of the hard stuff ... I just grilled all of the meat and shrimp). Read books, played pool, watched movies, enjoyed the hot tub, etc. I cooked about half of the time (yes, that means I took her out to dinner).
Looking forward to going back soon as always and staying there ... PERIOD very soon.
No comments:
Post a Comment